Saturday, June 18, 2005

Talk is Cheap. Action is Costly.

Deb & I saw the movie "Batman Begins" today. As a person who enjoys comics, sci-fi, fantasy and action heroes, I was bound to like it. In fact, there aren’t too many bad movies, in my opinion! I can always suspend belief long enough to get totally immersed in the temporary world of books or movies (it has to be really bad for me to not enjoy a movie). However it must have been a good movie, because Deb liked it too!

Anyway, here’s the quotable from the movie: "It’s not who you are inside, it’s what you do that defines you" (said to Bruce Wayne by his love interest when he was acting the millionaire playboy jerk). That statement made him think (as Batman is prone to do). It made me think too, as I waffled back and forth between agreeing with it and disagreeing. I finally settled into agreeing with it, because it sounds a lot like the biblical: "Faith without works is dead."

Lots of people have great convictions, but don’t do anything about them- "All talk and no action." What good is it to believe in something, if you don’t do something to back it all up? As William Booth said to his son Bramwell, when he saw so many people under the bridges of London: "Do something!"

The other day I was told of a conversation where someone was complaining about why we send money to the poor overseas when there are so many poor right in our own backyard. The response was: "So what are you doing about the local poor?"

So what are your convictions? I bet you talk a lot about them, but what are you doing about them? It all makes me wonder what I’m doing to make a difference. Talk is cheap. Action is much more costly.

No comments: