Friday, June 10, 2005

The Right Directions

Yesterday was a travel day for the Burrs, as we headed to Hershey, Pennsylvania for our Eastern Territorial Family Enrichment Congress. Whew! about 10 hours on the road, all the way from Maine! But it didn’t seem that long- we had some good conversation, listened to some fun music, thought, prayed and read (and stopped at many a bathroom) until we found ourselves at the Hershey Lodge to register. "Found ourselves" might not be the best way to put it . . .

We had specific directions to our hotel from MapQuest, but we were going to the Lodge first. Now, I’m a man (just in case you didn’t know)- that means I hate to stop and ask for directions. I also get very frustrated when we get "lost," so finding our way proved to be a bit of a challenge. Especially when the signage would point you in one direction, then leave you hanging at the next turn!

"Which way do we go? Does anyone see a sign for the Lodge?"

"Go left. I’m sure it’s that way."

It wasn’t that way. Grrr.

I finally suppressed my manhood and stopped to ask for directions. I must admit, it helped that I had to use the restroom- otherwise, I might never have stopped! And guess what the guy said. Yep- "Keep going where you are headed and it’s just up ahead on your left." HA! If I hadn’t stopped, we would have found it anyway! It’s interesting to note he said lots of people stop with the same question (maybe they should put up more signs).

All is well now. My temperature has gone back down to normal and finding the hotel was simple with the right directions (although there are some issues with the hotel, but that’s another whole story).

Here’s what I learned from our experience. All I ever needed to know I learned from driving to Hershey:

1) Knowing where you are going is a high priority.
2) Having the right directions is important if you don’t want to get lost.
3) The road isn’t always clearly marked, but
4) You’ll get there if you rely on others to help.

Oh and I also learned that not every hotel near Hershey puts a chocolate kiss on your pillow at night. {sigh}

No comments: