Thursday, June 23, 2005

Yahweh Roi, the Great Defragger

Yahweh Roi (Roe-EE)- The Lord my Shepherd. Shepherd brings up a variety of images, but none as clearly as it would have in early biblical times. A shepherd cared for his animals, sometimes with his own life, because he placed himself between the sheep and their enemies. The imagery of shepherd was often applied to Kings and religious leaders.

Our Great Leader, Jesus, places himself between us and our Enemy. But he now faces a defeated enemy, because he already gave his life on our behalf and came out victorious! With Jesus as our shepherd, he guards our path, leading us beside quiet waters- restoring our soul.

As I was meditating on God being my shepherd this morning, I was watching a defrag program running on my Dad’s computer (it’s my job to get his computer back in shape at least once a year!). Now computers store programs and information on a hard drive. But it saves the data in the first empty space on the disk. If the program is too large for that open space, it goes to the next available space and continues saving the file there. And so on, and so on. As you delete and re-save files over a period of time, the files on the hard drive get quite jumbled up. A defrag program moves all the files and puts them back on the disk in order with each file all together. Programs then run smoother and faster. Watching that process visually on my Dad’s screen, it dawned on me- my shepherd does that!

Life gets pretty messed up sometimes. Things get jumbled to the point of creating stress, concern and worry. But if we place our hard drive lives into the hands of our Great Defragger, he reorganizes everything, places it all back in the proper order and settles us down, thereby restoring (defragging) our soul!

Every morning I go to my Great Defragger and allow him to straighten things out in my life. I don’t leave his presence until I sense he has completed the restoration process. Now things will run smoother and if there are any hiccups, I’ll at least be at peace in his presence.

How about it? Do you need a defrag session with the Great Defragger?

No comments: