Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Stuff

I’ve read a couple blogs recently about all the stuff we accumulate and our need to simplify. Jenn and Tara have particularly written some good thoughts to ponder.

When Tara arrived, she stepped off the airplane with all her worldly belongings in two suitcases and a backpack! I was amazed! Since packing to leave Vancouver, Jenn’s been struggling to get her many belongings down to what she is now considering to be reasonable space. And once arriving home, began cutting way back there as well. Last we heard from her (earlier today), she was again re-packing to get it all down even further to take up less space! Just knowing all the shoes Jenn owned alone is amazing in itself!

But they’re not the first to catch my attention with this issue in the Christian’s life. While I’ve heard notions from others, Debbie has made me think a lot about this over the last few years (at least). Again, I marvel at the stuff she’s gotten rid of to lighten her load.

Me? I’m Joe Collector. I‘ve got stuff from way back and stuff from just months ago. When I look around my office, I see old toys, knick-knacks, figurines, stuffed animals- you’d almost think it was a thrift store (which is one place I love to look around)! Then when I dig in my stuff at home, it’s almost crazy. At least that’s the way I feel lately.

But you know what? I think all these people are on the right track. We own too much stuff! And believe it or not, I’ve started my own cleaning out process with my books! Yes, you read that right- my books (not all of them, but I’m just getting started)! I’ve already started a pile at the corps. They’re free for anyone who wants them. If they’re not taken, I’ll give them to our Family Store. When I get home, I’m going to start going through my knick-knacks. Anyone out there want a Star Wars Storm Trooper Model/Figurine?

Why all this fuss? There’s more important things in life that owning stuff. What does it all get us anyway? Do you have any idea how many times I’ve had to re-glue that guardian angel statue on my desk (but it was so important when I bought it)? We don’t need it all and we could certainly use our money for more important things anyway.

What we should really be storing up for ourselves is treasure in heaven.

No comments: