Saturday, August 27, 2005

The American Crest


Here is a beautiful rendition of the American Salvation Army crest. It's American, because of the eagle on top as opposed to the crown. Some years ago, when the Army in the USA was developing, I guess someone thought it would be a good idea to have our own crest.

Some years later (in my lifetime, but I can't rememeber when it was) it was decided to do away with the American crest and use one crest for the whole world-wide Salvation Army. Hence we've dropped the eagle.

I can't say that I disagree with the one world-wide crest, but it looks beautiful here, doesn't it?

3 comments:

YOU DONT KNOW MEEEeeee said...

so...why the eagle? and why the crown? (dont tell steve i asked this...)
i think i want it in full color like...on my shoulder. if someone dared me to do it...and paid for it.

Seeker of The Light said...

You don't know meeeeeee: I added some info to the picture which should answer your questions. But mum's the word- I won't tell anyone you didn't know all about it!

Mary Ann Parks said...

Actually, as I understand it, when there was the whole Moore-schism in the early days in the States, as part of the incorporation/separation process, the crown was changed to an eagle to break from the British tradition.....