Friday, August 12, 2005

Dare Devil Faith

I am so impressed with Rack, Shack and Benny (Shadrach, Mishach and Abednego for all of you from Mars who have missed Veggi Tales). I mean Evel Knievel has nothing on these dare devils! Imagine what guts it must have taken for them to literally stand against such a powerful king while being threatened with their own lives. Imagine what kind of faith in God it took!

Their words still amaze me every time I read them:
"O Nebuchadnezzar, we do not need to defend ourselves before you in this matter. If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God we serve is able to save us from it, and he will rescue us from your hand, O king. But even if he does not, we want you to know, O king, that we will not serve your gods or worship the image of gold you have set up."
- Daniel 3:16-18

They never wavered. Incredible! This could very well be my favorite story in the Bible because it shows us how to do it; how to live in the face of the enemy and give God the opportunity to prove himself. Look at what happened after they were vindicated (without even the smell of smoke on their clothes!)- the king wouldn't let anyone say anything against their God! I'd say he was convinced, wouldn't you?

When I grow up, I wanna be just like Rack, Shack and Benny! I want Dare Devil Faith!

But when I think about it, I realize Dare Devil Faith starts with faith in the little things. It takes believing that all God's promises in scripture are true. It takes believing that God will provide for you when you're at the end of your rope. It takes believing that practicing the Christian Way (tithing, turning the other cheek, focusing on others, etc.) will work out for good- even when you can't see it or understand how it could possibly happen.

Our God, Yahweh, is worthy of our faith. He is faithful himself and we can count on that. Always. He will never leave us or forsake us. That's the foundation for Dare Devil Faith.

Do you believe?

No comments: