Thursday, August 25, 2005

If it was Good Enough for Jesus . . .

I had an interesting conversation today that had a bit to do with the King James Version of the Bible. And it made me think of that age old jibe: "If it was good enough for Jesus, it's good enough for me!" Can you believe I actually heard someone say that to me once- many, many years ago!? That ended the conversation pretty quickly (in case you didn't know, Jesus did not speak English). So while I'm in the area, I thought I'd put some thoughts down about the good ol' KJV.

Up until the time the KJV was written, the Bible was only for the educated, because you could only get it in Greek or Latin. Actually, you couldn't "get it" at all- because Bibles were not mass produced yet. They were hand written! Can you imagine not being able to read a Bible, much less own one? Not a happy thought.

So the main reason the KJV was written, was to get The Bible mass produced and into the hands of the common people so they could actually read it themselves. Radical thought, right? Well it ended up becomming the standard even though it has some basic translation errors (nothing that would change doctrine). And that standard was passed down through a whole lot of years, since it was first printed in 1611!

Well language changes slowly. A word like "gay" doesn't mean the same thing it used to mean! In my own lifetime, I've seen the word "bad" go from meaning "not good," to "very good!" Imagine that!

So it's important that the spirit and purpose of the KJV be followed- put the Bible into the common people's language so they can understand it. No one I know speaks King James English any more (except some people who like to talk that way when they pray out loud). Therefore, it is imperative that the Bible be re-translated every so often so that it stays relevant to the common people.

Personally, I have a lot of trouble understanding the KJV, so I've moved from the NIV (New International Version) to the NLT (New Living Translation). I also really like to read the ICB (International Children's Bible) and The Message (Msg), although the later is not a translation, but one man's version of what he thinks it would say if it was written today. I mean think about it- This is God's Word to mankind! Do we want people to be bored reading stuff they don't understand? My Bible reading habits changed dramatically when I could actually understand what God was saying!

I think the best way to do it is to get a few different versions and have them all available while you read, so you can see all kinds of deep meaning in any particular passage.

And isn't that the real purpose behind reading The Bible in the first place? Hearing from God, understanding what he's saying and putting it into practice in your own daily life.

What version do you like to read?

6 comments:

Gideon son of Joash said...

NASB. When the bible was still only written in Greek or Latin the people didn't need to have a copy with them they memorized it didn't they? Something we need to be doing more of.

YOU DONT KNOW MEEEeeee said...

i read w/e version is around.
ive had the good ole "its the way jesus talked" convesation, too. HAHA!

Seeker of The Light said...

Made4War: When the Bible was written in Greek & Latin, the people not only didn't read it, they couldn't even understand the language! Only the well educated could afford to learn such languages.

You're probably referring to the Hebrews who memorized the Torah and even the whole Old Testament! Then it was at least written in their own language.

Still, I get your point- we should be memorizing a lot more scripture.

Rebekah Dooley said...

i enjoyed the NLT or the NIV version

Captain Andrew Clark said...

NIV is a good readable translation (in places!) but its one of the better versions about I think. The unfortunate thing about the Message from a UK perspective is the Americanisms in language that make it sound silly in places from our perspective.

I'm not a stupid man, but I do have a lot of difficulties understanding the KJV. I'll never understand the people who say its the only worthwhile translation...I mean I know the reasons they say that, but it doesn't make sense.

Lets thank God that we have the privelege of owning not just one, but several bibles. I often wonder if I should have as many copies as I do!

Seeker of The Light said...

Yeah- me too, I have so many bibles, sometimes I feel badly that there are people out there who don't own a single one. And if you add electronic bibles, I'm afraid I lose count!