Sunday, August 27, 2006

It was a LONG Night Last Night

Yesterday we traveled back from visiting Jenn & Josh for a week in Canada. It's a LONG drive, but we decided to take some scenic roads to stave away the boredom of the monotonous highway. Somewhere around 2/3s of the way home, I began having chest pains.

It didn't hurt all the time, just when I took deep breaths or moved a certain way so I figured it was nothing to worry about. Around 11:30 I was just trying to get to sleep and a couple of my fingers began to tingle. This concerned me and when it wouldn't go away, I decided Deb should take me to the emergency room.

When I told the nurses what was happening, they asked me a lot of questions. It seemed every other thing they asked about was positive so they took me to the nearest room (it happened to be in Intensive Care Unit, even though I wasn't considered that bad). There, they wired me for an EKG, took lots of blood to test (ouch) and put an IV in my arm just in case. They gave me more aspirin (I had taken a small dose at home before leaving) and some Vicodin (I'm STILL groggy from it!).

Deb went home, because they said I was going to spend the night there waiting for test results and more test results. I actually slept about 1 1/2 hours, going in and out of consciousness, until they told me all was well- I could go home; it wasn't my heart. Maybe I pulled a chest muscle or something, but the Doctor said I did the right thing. In any such case, caution should prevail.

What an experience! I don't remember the last time I was in the hospital and the last time I was in the emergency room for myself was when I was a young kid. I don't recommend it- unless, of course, you need it!

The thing that I am most pleased about is how I handled it all. At no time was I worried or even anxious. I was praying the whole time, but I wasn't at all frantic. I joked with the nurses and kept upbeat about the whole situation. The thing that concerned me the most was Deb missing her sleep (she never mentioned it)!

Now that I look back on my long night, I am glad I was able to trust God through all that was happening. I just knew he was in control and I could have faith in his provision. I guess some of what I preach is rubbing off on the preacher!

BLESSING:
May the things you have learned about Christianity be expressed regularly in your life; especially in the rough moments you experience. May your faith be strong and may you know for certain God is in control. And may you accept all that without accquivocation.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

whoa im glad your okay! and God protected you and you trsuted him so much and prayed about it! I missed you and Deb today(even tho i knew u guys wouldnt be there) and i look forward to sometime during the week hopefully to see you!
lots of love, Alberta

sixonefour said...

yikes Doug!
the first part made my heart stop and my feelings well up, the last part brought rejoicing.
love you
HBD

kathryn said...

i'm so glad you're okay, Doug! Glad you had a nice time here in Canada. . and glad that your ticker is still ticking away normally! Good for you, praying through, as if there's any other way to do it, eh?!

Aurora said...

The last time I was in the emergency room, I was taking in my roommate who I thought was over-reacting, and then she ended up needing to stay the night on an IV drip the whole time...you're right. Sometimes being a little cautious can is good.
Glad to know you're okay.
Much love.
Aurora